Morgan's school decided to take on the amazing task of incubating and hatching baby chickens. For the past few weeks (21 days to be precise) the eggs have been hanging out in the incubator (or "elevator" if you ask Morgan- hey incubator is a big word!) Nearly every day Morgan would show me the eggs when we went to school and when I picked her up. Her teacher Miss Julie would remind her how long they had to stay in there, and all the kids have been looking at pictures of what is happening inside the egg, etc.
Well finally the day came- would the eggs hatch? Of course! Seven out of twelve eggs hatched. A few of them started to hatch late on Thursday afternoon, and when I picked up Morgan I got to see the start of them poking out. Believe me when I tell you it was probably the longest night of Morgan's short life. She couldn't wait to get back to school to see the new baby chicks.
So Friday morning Morgan ran into school to find four little babies in the incubator trying to stay warm. By that afternoon, those four had been moved to the cage, and three more had started cracking their way out of the eggs. By Monday morning all seven were in the cage, looking as cute as could possibly be.

All the kids have been so excited. Morgan is typically greeted in the morning with one of her friends shrieking "Look at the chicks!" Those poor chickens are probably wishing it was a little calmer in their temporary home. I can't imagine that ten 4 year olds creates a soothing environment. The chickens have started getting their "big chicken" feathers and are growing super fast.
They will be sent to a farm in the next few days to live out their natural chicken life.

0 comments:
Post a Comment