4:44 PM

Mommy Went to Washington!

Well this post has nothing to do with the girls, but I thought I would give an update on my recent trip to Washington DC. As the current president of INASLA (Indiana Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects) every year I have to head out to Washington for a day of lobbying, and then two days of meetings that are supposed to train me to be a better leader. Much to Greg's dismay it meant that I was gone from Wednesday until Sunday. (Don't worry everyone he survived, and so did the girls!)

Lobby day was up first- our briefing meetings started at 7:30 and throughout the day we met with three Indiana Congressmen, visited the offices of three more and left information, and ended the day with meetings with Indiana's Senators. Now when I say we had meetings with these people what I really mean is that we had meetings with the wonderful staff people. In case you were wondering, the congress men and senators actually have offices outside of the Capital- they are in four different buildings that look like this-

So part of the fun of the day is walking back and forth from building to building. Hey at least I got a good work out.

This is the National Archives building- we didn't have time to go in, but it was pretty from the outside.

We did have time to stop for a photo op outside the Capital. Funny thing- right before we were going to take the picture there was no one on the steps. The minute we get ourselves together a huge tour group walks behind us.
One evening we decided to take a tour called Monuments by Moonlight. The tour left at 7:30 from Union Station and went to every single monument along the mall- and even went out to Arlington National Cemetery. We drove around in an old trolley car. The weather was perfect too!

While many of the pictures didn't turn out (obviously because it was dark) but here are a few that made it.

The Washington Monument

Good old Lincoln Monument

And the Korean War Memorial which looks incredibly creepy at night. The picture doesn't do it justice, but believe me it was incredibly creepy looking.

0 comments: