Not too long ago there was a poster in Morgan's cubby at school promoting a free event sponsored by the Carmel Library. I took notice of the words "free" and figured hey- what else do I have to do on Saturday. So finally Saturday rolled around and it was a nice day and I told Greg I thought it would be fun. So we packed up and off we went. The event was called "All Things Rodeo" and the flyer said that there would be all kids of big trucks and cars that the kids could get up close and personal with. So it sounded fun- besides who wouldn't want to climb on a fire truck. So we got there and the parking lot of Carmel Elementary School was full of all sorts of big vehicles.
They had a tent where you could pick up your bingo card to keep track of all the trucks you stopped at, and if you got nine spaces checked off you won a prize. Let me take a moment to thank the Friends of Carmel Library for realizing this game was a great idea in theory. You saved the sanity of many a parent by letting kids get away with checking off one box. So thank you for the prizes even though I turned in one incomplete bingo card!
The girls were able to sit in a police car. As Morgan climbed into the back, both Greg and I told her- Morgan I hope this is the only time you are in the back of a cop car! Elizabeth chose to check out the front, so maybe she is working towards a career in law enforcement.

They had all sorts of tractors, a front loader and a lawn mower. I didn't get a picture, but Morgan was pretty excited to ride the lawn mower. I think Greg now has visions of getting out of cutting the grass.
I think the best one was the school bus. Now for a little back story: for those that don't know the Carmel schools bus stop for our neighborhood is right out in front of our house. So everyday the buses come and go. Well this year Morgan has finally taken notice in the giant yellow buses. Since school has started Morgan asks nearly every day if she can ride the school bus. We try and explain that next year (and for the next 12 years) she will ride the bus, but that she has to wait. So when we saw the giant yellow bus in the parking lot of Carmel Elementary School I figured we could live Morgan's dream- to ride the school bus.
Morgan patiently waited her turn to climb on board the bus.

Once she climbed on the first stop was to drive the bus. And every bus driver has to honk their horn! I'm not kidding every 30-45 seconds that horn was going off because every kid that sat there had to honk the horn.

Even Elizabeth drove the bus.

Then we took a seat so Morgan could pretend she was riding the bus to school.
All in all the day was pretty fun. All together the girls were able to check out a fire truck (both a new one and a historic one), a police car, a dump truck, a street cleaner, an ambulance, a front loader, a tractor, a lawn mower, and a school bus.Later that afternoon we went home and enjoyed our free prizes (again thank you Carmel Library!). Morgan picked a bouncy ball and Elizabeth picked her favorite thing- bubbles. In an attempt to capture the wonderful day I tried to get the girls to pose for a picture- this was the result.

Not too bad. On a side note: this was the first day that Elizabeth wanted to wear a specific outfit. Normally she is fine with whatever I pick out, but today she had to wear this pick lady bug dress. Nothing else would suffice. Then when Morgan saw Elizabeth in her dress, she had to wear hers. Thanks Mimi for the wonderful dresses!

0 comments:
Post a Comment